Case Study: Inforce Computing’s Custom Design Powers a Cloud-optimized Video Collaboration Device
Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 Processor-based Inforce Custom Single-board-computer (SBC) Drives Cloud-optimized Video Conferencing Solution for Huddle Spaces
Case Study Highlights:
- The cloud-optimized video endpoint is powered by an Inforce custom compute platform based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor.
- Runs an Android OS and delivers HD 1080p30 video capture and playback (H.264 hardware assisted codec) as well as crystal clear audio over the network.
- LVDS-to-HDMI conversion enables simultaneous dual HD 1080p display outputs and HDMI-to-CSI conversion enables 1080p content sharing over the network via Wi-Fi or Gigabit Ethernet.
- Inforce’s custom product development services help pass stringent tests required for UL and FCC certifications and bring the production design to volume manufacturing.
Inforce recently enabled a customer in the enterprise cloud-optimized video endpoint market with a custom single board computer (SBC). The Inforce SBC is based on the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600 processor. The long lifecycle Snapdragon 600 processor features quad-core 1.7GHz CPUs, Qualcomm® Adreno™ 320 GPU, Qualcomm® Hexagon™ DSP v4, and an integrated Image Signal Processor. It delivers energy efficient heterogeneous compute resources demanded by high-performance applications such as video collaboration.
The custom designed Inforce compute platform empowers the endpoint with built-in 1080p pan/tilt camera designed for huddle space field of view and a 4x digital zoom. The system supports integrated dual HDMI-outputs that can independently drive two HD displays simultaneously via an LVDS-to-HDMI conversion to augment a native HDMI output on the Snapdragon 600 processor. In addition, on-board HDMI-to-CSI conversion enables 1080p content sharing via an HDMI-input port. Two integrated microphones allow full duplex audio and acoustic echo cancellation. Comprehensive connectivity is provided via built-in Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Gigabit Ethernet and a full-fledged control of functions is provided via an infrared remote receiver.
With a low glass-to-glass latency, the system can be brought up quickly and distributed teams in multiple locations worldwide can be connected rapidly, improving team productivity and efficiencies. Unlike other pure-play software and web-based videoconferencing solutions, the custom video endpoint provides hardware based multimedia processing, resulting in unprecedented and uninterrupted 1080p HD video and audio quality at a very low cost.
Inforce Computing worked extensively with the customer while designing a custom SBC based on the Snapdragon 600 processor and in addition, also delivered Android OS customization and device driver development. Inforce has implemented a state-of-the-art design that met the customer’s stringent quality, cost, and feature requirements. The customer migrated to the Snapdragon 600 based custom SBC from a legacy architecture for various reasons:
- High performance, lower power consumption, and comprehensive connectivity
- Access to hardware accelerated multimedia processing (1080p encode and decode) on an Android based platform
- Availability of Android BSP and device drivers for multiple peripherals
- Support for multiple displays and HDMI input for sharing content over the network
- Long lifecycle assurance and easier upgrades to future technologies
The resulting solution is an enterprise-class, cloud-optimized video endpoint that is designed to facilitate team collaboration in huddle spaces. With its fully integrated form factor and cloud-based management, it is now possible to easily deploy into all those rooms that have not been technology enabled. The Android embedded design integrates and provides one-click to connect user experiences with several cloud video solutions and supports calendar and provisioning options for Microsoft Office 365 and Google. As an SIP and H.323 endpoint, the device also inter-operates with existing enterprise video conferencing solutions from several 3rd parties.
Enabling OEM customers such as the above by designing and delivering a challenging enterprise-class custom video collaboration SBC is non-trivial. Integrating the Snapdragon 600 processor-based off-the-shelf classic Inforce 6410™ product with additional HDMI-in and HDMI-out peripheral interfaces speaks volumes of Inforce’s capability to deliver custom solutions. It allows customers to provide a very unique, differentiated, and affordable video collaboration solution for the huddle space that doesn’t compromise on any productivity enhancing features. Inforce’s custom design services have also enabled the customer to pass the stringent tests required for UL and FCC certifications, paving the way for production quality manufacturing.
The Cloud-optimized Video Conferencing solution is in full commercial production now.
From the Inforce Computing Desk.
Copyright ©2016 Inforce Computing, Inc. All rights reserved.