Penguin Edge 6601 Micro SoM
Powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 Processor
Purpose built for advanced embedded systems
Introducing the latest and long-lifecycle Penguin Edge 6601 Micro SOM, powered by the next-generation ARM®v8 64-bit quad-core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 820 applications processor, for advanced embedded designs. Upgrade legacy embedded designs to the cross-compatible Penguin Edge 6601 Micro SOM. The Penguin Edge 6601 Micro SOM maintains pin, connector, electrical, and form-factor compatibility with Penguin Edge 6401™ and Penguin Edge 6501™ Micro SOMs. There’s no need to redesign your existing Micro SOM compatible carrier board. Get a head start and accelerate your time-to-market.
Take advantage of cutting-edge mobile technologies such as immersive 3D graphics, power-efficient DSP, advanced camera ISPs, 4K HEVC video encode/decode, HDMI 2.0, and state-of-the-art connectivity. Empower exceptional and path-breaking embedded-applications. Build virtual reality, computer vision, video collaboration, and medical imaging devices.
Production-Ready For Volume Manufacturing
Plug-and-play for fast prototyping
The Penguin Edge 6601 Micro SOM is fully supported by a full-featured and cross-compatible carrier board for fast prototyping.(BSP/OS and device drivers provided).
Cross-compatibility for easy migration
Upgrade Penguin Edge 6401 and Penguin Edge 6501 Micro SoM based legacy designs—just swap the SOMs on your custom carrier board and write new application software.
High density compute and connectivity
On-board Snapdragon 820 processor, LPDDR4 POP memory, UFS flash, WiFi/BT/GPS, PMIC, audio codecs, 2x 100-pin connectors for I/Os on a 28mm x 50mm form-factor.
A full development kit including the Penguin Edge 6601 Micro SoM, a reference carrier board, and a starter-kit will be available soon.
Superior Processing Power and Connectivity
Qualcomm® Kryo™ CPU
2X performance and efficiency improvement over the previous generation on an ultra low-power 14nm FinFET process technology.
Qualcomm® Adreno™ 530 GPU and Visual Display Processing
Deliver stunning graphics performance via HEVC decode and display 4K60 FPS over HDMI2.0.
Qualcomm® Spectra™ 14-bit dual ISPs and Qualcomm® Hexagon™ 680 DSP
Capture, process, stream, and playback 4K HEVC (H.265) video.
Advanced WiFi 802.11ac 2×2 MU-MIMO and BT4.1LE
Faster connections. Add precise location information with Qualcomm® IZat™ Gen 8C GPS/GNSS.
Build Exciting and Advanced Embedded Applications
Next-gen 4K Ultra HD video processing and collaboration with HEVC (H.265) encode and decode
High-resolution connected & hand-held medical devices enabled by advanced DSP
Commercial robots and drones running CPU intensive computer vision algorithms in agriculture, manufacturing, construction, mining, and O&G
Immersive, life-like virtual reality based hands-free computing for tomorrow’s services and industrial automation
Comprehensive Compute, Memory, Connectivity, and Software Support
- On-board FCC pre-certified WiFi/BT module with 802.11ac MU-MIMO 2.4/5GHz WiFi and BT LE4.1 capability
- On-board PMIC for power management
- Full-featured Android Marshmallow
- Avail free Qualcomm SDKs
- Vuforia™ VR
- Hexagon™ DSP
- Alljoyn™ proximity connectivity
- FastCV™ computer vision
- Symphony™ System Manager
- Snapdragon™ for facial recognition
- 2X 100 pin connectors to bring out comprehensive IOs
- Dual 4-lane MIPI-DSI and HDMI 2.0 interfaces
- Trio of 4-lane MIPI CSI for up to 3 cameras and 28MP
- USB 3.0 (Host/OTG), 8x GPIOs, Slimbus, 1x PCIe, 1x SDC
- 12x BLSPs for UART, I2C, SPI
- Quad-core Kryo™ 2.2 GHz 64-bit CPU (ARM®v8 ISA)
- Adreno™ 530 GPU supports OpenGL ES3.3 and Open CL 2.0
- Hexagon™ 680 DSP @815MHz
- Spectra™ Dual 14-bit ISP @1.2GPix/s throughput for sensors
- Full 4K Ultra HD HEVC (H.265) video capture and playback
- 4GB LPDDR4 PoP RAM @1866MHz
- Hi-FI Audio codec with support for several formats
- 64GB UFS 2.0 gear 3 Flash memory
- Ideal for SWaP constrained applications
- Measures just 28mm x 50mm and under 11 grams
- Assured long-product lifecycle (7+ years)
- Pin, electrical, and form-factor compatibility with all Penguin Edge SoMs
- Easy upgrades from legacy Snapdragon based Micro SoMs
- Custom carrier board and device driver design assistance