Penguin Solutions had a full week in Denver as we went all out as an exhibitor at Supercomputing 2023 (SC23). Penguin celebrated 25 years and showcased our expertise in HPC, AI and Accelerated Computing with four innovative technology demonstration pods, highlighting our solutions that design, build, deploy and manage infrastructures at scale, and a dedicated AI Lounge in partnership with NVIDIA.
HPCwire caught up with our CTO Phil Pokorny and our VP of Cloud Mark Seamans to discuss Penguin’s presence at the show. Watch the interviews here.
Demonstrations at SC23
Penguin and its partners showcased innovative solutions designed to meet business needs today and support future growth. Demos included:
- Design – Penguin showcased its AI/HPC cluster and high-performance networking designs, optimized node selections including the latest CPU, GPU and inference processors, and data center power optimization
- Build – Penguin’s power-efficient solutions showcased developments in immersion cooling technology and rack level integration and testing, while highlighting the following technology:
- 277V Altus® XE2342 system with the high-density 4th Gen AMD Epyc™Processor
- 277V Relion® XE5318GTS system featuring the Intel 4th Gen Xeon® Scalable Processors with the eight-way NVIDIA HGX™H100
- 48V DC OCP-Inspired™Tundra® racks and servers
- Deploy – Scyld ClusterWare and Scyld Cloud Central were on display for attendees, showcasing hybrid cloud solutions that offer rapid availability and integrated access, and HPC cluster installation and configuration
- Manage – this demonstration featured the advanced Penguin system management software suite, highlighting Penguin’s managed services, including Penguin-led system management and operations, SLA-based processes, and operational dashboards and reporting.
As an NVIDIA certified DGX Managed Service Provider, Penguin and NVIDIA partnered to deliver an AI Lounge in the Penguin booth, filled with AI experts from both companies.
Speaking Sessions at SC23
Penguin Solutions was selected to speak amongst industry peers with two speaking sessions.
Kevin Tubbs, SVP of Strategic Solutions for Penguin Solutions, presented an Exhibitor Forum session, AI Factories: How to Scale and Deploy. Tubbs explored what it takes to deliver AI to the masses – from cost to management of running AI architectures, the session explored the best of today’s options for companies looking to scale their AI infrastructure, including renting AI factories in the cloud with a pay-as-you-go model versus building an AI factory from scratch. Watch Kevin’s session here.
Phil Pokorny, CTO of Penguin Solutions was joined by Cameron Cross, Sales Director of Immersion Cooling at Shell, Justin Cass, VP of Global Alliances at Submer, and Curt Wallace, Senior Solutions Architect at GRC, for a panel session: Immersion Cooling: 3 Considerations You Should Care About and Real-World Deployment Experiences. Dan Olds, Chief Research Officer at Intersect360 moderated the discussion, and explored the need to create more sustainable deployment environments and how immersion cooling is a critical piece to the data center puzzle. Watch the panel session here.
Student Cluster Competition
Penguin Solutions was excited to sponsor our student team, The Roadrunners, at the Supercomputing Cluster Competition (SCC), as they explored benchmark testing and performance optimization in 3DMHD and MPAS scenarios using Altus servers loaned to them by Penguin Solutions. The Roadrunners from the University of New Mexico competed in a non-stop, 48-hour challenge during the conference to complete real-world scientific workloads.
Penguin Solutions was a gold sponsor of the annual Beowulf Bash, recently rebranded The Y Event, and had a blast kicking off the ‘Horns and Halos’ event to celebrate the launch of SC23!