On Demand Cloud Solution (POD) Now Provides Instant Access for Computational Intensive MATLAB Applications
FREMONT, Calif. – May 6, 2014 –
Penguin Computing, experts in high performance, enterprise and cloud computing solutions, today announced the immediate availability of MATLAB Distributed Computing Server on its HPC Cloud, POD. This solution combines POD’s ease-of-use and high performance computing capabilities in the cloud with MATLAB scale-up capability to solve more demanding and complex problems.
“With over a million users and growing, MATLAB is one of the most respected tools for programming and analyzing numerical data,” said Victor Gregorio, VP/GM of Cloud Services at Penguin Computing. “Penguin Computing is proud to be partnering with MathWorks to provide MATLAB on POD, where we have enabled an HPC Cloud environment for the MATLAB community.”
MATLAB Distributed Computing Server runs on POD’s high performance compute servers, providing access to multiple workers that can run computationally intensive MATLAB® programs and Simulink® models. MATLAB and Simulink users interact with MATLAB Distributed Computing Server through the Parallel Computing Toolbox™. Users program parallel applications using the toolbox on their workstations, then push their programs to POD from their local MATLAB session. Application results are returned back to their MATLAB sessions once the parallel processing job has finished on POD.
"Engineers and scientists are constantly seeking ways to speed up the development and execution of their complex programs," said Silvina Grad-Freilich, Senior Manager of Parallel Computing Marketing at The MathWorks. "We are pleased to work with Penguin Computing to enable users to run their applications faster and solve larger, more intricate problems without increasing the IT cost associated with maintaining high-performance capacity.”
MATLAB, Simulink, and the parallel computing tools are used throughout the automotive, aerospace, financial services, communications, electronics, energy production, and industrial automation industries as fundamental tools for research and development.
"Data analytics through MATLAB is a critical component for our success on the race track," said Kevin Chrencik, Director of Vehicle Performance at Michael Waltrip Racing. "We look forward to using MATLAB MDCS in Penguin's HPC Cloud as it will provide us with the tools we need whether in our offices, on the road, or on the track."
Features of this new MATLAB solution on Penguin Computing on Demand include:
- The ability to remotely submit parallel MATLAB applications to MATLAB Distributed Computing Server running on POD from a user’s local MATLAB session.
- Support for on-demand, pay as-you-go use of MATLAB Distributed Computing Server workers. Other licensing options supported as well.
- Easy set-up -- once an account is created on POD, there is no software to install and no networking to configure on the cluster. MATLAB Distributed Computing Server is configured out of the box.
- A Penguin Computing provided script can be run on your local Linux machine running MATLAB to automatically configure POD in the Cluster Profile Manager.
For more information about MATLAB Distributed Computing Server on POD, visit: https://pod.penguincomputing.com/documentation/MATLAB
- Keep up with Penguin Computing news by visiting the company’s website
- Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn